The Florida AFL-CIO operates under and is guided by the following principles.
- To secure legislation which will safeguard and promote the principle of collective bargaining, the rights of workers, farmers and consumers, and the security and welfare of all the people, and to oppose legislation harmful to these objectives;
- To protect and strengthen our democratic institutions, to secure full recognition and enjoyment of the rights and liberties to which we are justly entitled, and to preserve and perpetuate the cherished traditions of our democracy;
- To encourage the organization of all workers without discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, disability, marital status, (sexual orientation) or political affiliation so they may share equally in the full benefits of union organization;
- To preserve the independence of this Federation in political action, while preserving the independence of the labor movement from political control. To encourage workers to register and vote, to exercise their full rights and responsibilities of citizenship and to perform their rightful part in the political life of the local, state and national communities;
- To influence public opinion and increase public understanding of the labor movement and its contributions to society;
- To aid and assist the bona fide labor press of this state;
- To aid and encourage the sale and use of union-made goods and union services through the use of union labels and other symbols;
- To abolish the competition of convict labor with the labor of free workers and to eliminate child labor;
- To promote a strong, free, public education system and to insure that the contributions of labor are presented;
- To safeguard the democratic character of the labor movement and to protect its autonomy;
- To act in behalf of all labor as a coordination and service agency with the various agencies of state government;
- To abide by and conform to the Constitution of the American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations.